I really can’t believe how fast the year is going by. On one hand I’m thankful for the progress I’ve made but on the other hand, I’m stunned by how quickly time seems to be passing. It’s so important to take stock of where you are as you try to figure out where you’re going.
I’m extremely thankful for my journey and the life I currently live. What I love the most is the fact that I can feel myself growing and getting closer to everything I’ve ever wanted to become. I still have a very long way to go, but I’m willing to keep walking with grace, gratitude and humility.
I’m writing this post to share a few things I’ve learnt on my journey (especially this year). I hope that what I have to share encourages you to do better too.
Here it goes…
- Your life is your own: We spend a lot of time making excuses, justifying our circumstances and blaming others for the decisions we’ve made. Yes, you were brought up in a certain way, yes you’re not as privileged as the next person, we get it – so what can you do to change your situation? As hard as it is, we have to learn to take full control of our lives. Don’t go through life trying to justify why you can’t do the things you want to do; it will only make you bitter in the long run. You can have the life you dream of but all you need to do is accept that you are responsible for you. You are the only one that can limit yourself. Don’t wait around for other people to direct your life. Get up and start working towards your goals.
- Walk with God: Walking with Jesus will change your life completely. I know how much my walk with God has changed my life. With all that’s going on in the world, it’s so easy to get carried away. Most of us are living under the assumption that we are only here to hustle, make money or get recognition for the work that we do. All those things are amazing and truly God wants us to work hard but we sometimes get lost in the midst of it all. I have to constantly remind myself that I was created to serve God. The world teaches us that’s it’s the other way round – that God is there to give us the things we want as we hustle through life. NO! The moment you realize your life is all about service to God, things wouldn’t bother you anymore. The peace of mind you’ll experience will be greater than you can explain or understand and even in the midst of trouble or everyday challenges, you’ll see things working for your good. Faith in Jesus Christ is the only thing that can drive you to achieve great things but still keep you at peace.
- There’s a season for everything: Imagine how ridiculous it is to keep wearing clothes that are no longer ideal for a certain season/weather. There’s a season for everything, especially for the people that come into your life! Not everyone will walk with you through your life’s journey. Don’t resent them for it. Let people go if you feel they’re not good for you but do it gracefully. There’s no point hating on someone just because your relationship/friendship didn’t work out. Wish them well and set them free.
- Nothing is worth your happiness: I can’t emphasize this enough! I always encourage people to take care of themselves because without a sound mind you literally can’t do anything. Assess every difficult situation you’re in and come up with a solution as quickly as possible. Don’t dwell in your misery for too long because if you do, it will affect your reasoning. You might find yourself justifying situations or people that have hurt you and before you know it you’ll be right where you started. Don’t ever let anything weigh you down – nothing is worth your peace of mind. NOTHING!
- You deserve the best: Never look down on yourself! You are special because God created you. You need to believe this and embrace all the things that God created you to be.