Ever felt like you’re not good enough? Not smart enough? Not strong enough? Not loved or appreciated? Don’t worry you’re not alone; most people have had to fight off these negative thoughts at some point in their lives. I know I have!
Negative thoughts are usually propelled by past failure and a fear of the future. Sometimes it’s driven by the idea that other people have it better than us or that the grass is greener on the other side. These thoughts often result in feelings of worthlessness, inadequacy and self-doubt.
It can be extremely difficult to shake off these feelings, so it’s important to identify and fight bad thoughts quickly. A negative thought pattern can be destructive to the mind, body and soul.
Regardless of what we do, we need to realize that life comes with challenges and so it’s unfair to beat yourself up when things don’t go the way you want them to. Mistakes and failures should always be viewed as a learning experience or an opportunity to do better.
Staying positive starts with making a decision to focus on the good – the more you focus on the good, the happier you become. It’s not as easy as it sounds but it’s definitely possible. I have a few secrets on staying positive and I thought I’d share them with you. I hope they help you turn those negative thoughts into positive ones.
- Remember the good times: It’s so easy to forget the good times when bad stuff happens. Don’t let the bad stuff change your perspective on life. Always take a moment to reflect on happy memories. What good memories do you remember? Write them down or reminisce with a loved one.
- Stay thankful: Gratitude really helps me stay positive. The more thankful I am for the little things, the more at peace I feel. There’s always something to be thankful for. Think of one thing you’re thankful for each day and when you do, express gratitude for it. You will feel a lot more hopeful. Nature always reminds me to be grateful – If God can make everything around me so beautiful, then he can make my life beautiful as well.
- Live in the moment: Feelings of self-doubt are always attached to past failure. Instead of thinking about why we failed, we often come to the conclusion that we’re just not good enough. That couldn’t be farther from the truth. Each new day is a chance to re-invent yourself – which means that as long as you’re alive, there’s an opportunity to keep on trying. Forget about the past and live in the moment. It is what you do now that counts.
- Profess good things: Thoughts become things! If you want it, start speaking it. The reason we fail sometimes is not because we’re not good enough but because we think we aren’t, so we start telling ourselves how much we suck. Don’t underestimate the power of speaking things into existence. Believe you deserve all the good things that life has to offer and start professing it. Whenever those negative feelings show up, I always go to my bible and read out all the amazing things that God says about me and I just keep saying them to myself. Trust me, it actually works!
- Surround yourself with positive people: It’s so important to have good people around you. When you’re around people who are constantly complaining or making you doubt your abilities, you’ll automatically start thinking negatively. Surround yourself with people who not only see the best in you but also encourage you to do better. Optimism is contagious, if you hang around people who see the good in everything, you will start to see it too.
Fighting negative thoughts is a continuous process but these tips definitely work for me. I hope they work for you too. Stay strong! xo